Avoid High Bills with Usage Monitoring & High Usage Alerts
Eliminate Unwanted 'Surprises' on Your Bill with Usage Monitoring and High Usage Alerts
Did you know that Randolph EMC gives you complete access to your metering information so that you can know how much electricity is used in your home each day? When you access your account online, you'll be able to see the daily historical data for kilowatt-hours used, and you can even drill down to how much electricity was used per hour! Simply log on to your account online and visit the MyUsage section to view your history.
To make things especially easy, you can set up alert notifications to make you aware of high usage on your account and avoid unwanted ‘surprises’ on your bill. Our High Usage Alert could come in handy if you have a heat pump or well pump malfunction that could drastically increase your monthly electric bill. No one wants a surprise like that!
Set High Usage Alerts on the Online Member Service Portal
The High Usage Alert notifies members when their daily energy usage exceeds the dollar amount that they have set up.
- Log in to your account on Randolph EMC's Online Member Service Portal
- Click on the My Alerts tab
- Confirm the contact information to receive alerts for your account
- Set the amount to be used as the threshold for your high usage alert
- Select the method of communication you prefer for this alert — text, email or push notification
What Should My Threshold Amount Be?
You have several options to help determine the threshold amount for your account:
- Be familiar with your monthly bills and how many kilowatt-hours (kWh) used per month, on average
- Calculate your daily usage into a dollar amount by dividing your average monthly bill by 30 or view your usage chart online to determine the average daily usage amount
- Check your usage chart on the online member service portal to get an idea of the average daily usage amount
Tip: To keep from receiving alerts too often, do not set the threshold too close to the daily usage amount. On the other hand, if you wish to receive an alert for the daily usage amount, set your threshold at $0.
Example: A member whose average electric bill for the month is $150 pays approximately $5 per day for electricity and should set the dollar threshold for his notification alert at $7 to $8 (this is $2 to $3 more than the normal daily usage, or 40-60%)
What Happens if I Receive an Alert?
If usage alert notifications are received consistently for a few days, and seasonal temperature fluctuations can be ruled out, it is time to investigate further.
These are the top three things that can typically cause a spike in usage and should be checked by a licensed technician:
- Heating/cooling systems
- Electric water heaters
- Well pumps/water system leaks
Why not take time now to set up alert notifications on your account? You can select one or all three options – text, email or push notifications.